ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Kids-2014 were released in February 2014.
- A redesigned user interface with an eye toward improved usability. For example, icons are now available to facilitate editing, and a favorites function has been added.
- An improved search methodology.
- The ability to replay spoken help text, allowing respondents to more readily obtain context-specific guidance.
- An option to have respondents report recalls for the past 24 hours as well as from midnight-to-midnight of the previous day.
- An option to query the source (grocery store, vending machine, etc.) of each food reported.
- The addition of baby foods and infant formulas to the foods database to allow for the complete collection of recalls for infants and toddlers.
- A revised list of food terms that reduces the size of the browse list. For example, the food terms "coffee (brewed)" and "coffee (drip)" were omitted and, instead, the term "coffee" is available. Later, respondents are asked whether the coffee reported was "brewed" or "drip".
- A more complete portion image database.
You can view a demo version of the ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Kids-2014 Respondent sites.
In tandem with ASA24-2014, we have also updated the ASA24 Researcher Web site to make it more user-friendly and to provide more self-service functionality. For example, there is now a choice between manually uploading respondent accounts and creating them through a step-by-step "wizard". The current versions of ASA24, ASA24-2011, and ASA24-Kids-2012 will be supported through March 2015. If you currently have a study for which you plan to collect ASA24 data beyond March 2015, you will have to transition to ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Kids-2014 before then. To do so, you will need to request a new study using the ASA24 Researcher Web site. More information can be found on the main ASA24 page.
ASA24™ can be used by researchers for epidemiologic, intervention, behavioral, or clinical research. Clinicians may also find it useful for diet assessment and nutrition counseling, and educators may find it to be a useful teaching tool.
Please e-mail the helpdesk with any questions or concerns you may have. We look forward to continuing to work with you.
ASA24™ is a trademark of HHS.
Last Modified: 11 Apr 2014