ASA24™-2014 & ASA24™-2011
ASA24-2014 was released in February 2014; ASA24-2011 was released in September 2011.
- ASA24-2014 and ASA24-2011 Specifications
- System Requirements
- Accessibility Policy
- Registering to Use ASA24-2014
ASA24-2014 & ASA24-2011 Specifications
ASA24-2014 and ASA24-2011:
- use version 4.1 of USDA's Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Studies (FNDDS) to estimate nutrient intakes;
- use version 2.0 of the USDA's MyPyramid Equivalents Database (MPED) and the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion's MPED Addendum to estimate intakes of dietary guidance-based food groups; nutritionists on the ASA24 team imputed values for nine food codes for which MyPyramid Equivalents have not yet been assigned by USDA;
- include optional modules to query the location of meals, with whom meals were eaten, and television and computer use during meals;
- include an optional module to query supplement intakes based on supplements reported in the 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES); and
- are available in English and Spanish.
ASA24-2014 only (new features):
- includes an optional module that queries the source of each food consumed to provide information on where foods are obtained (i.e., grocery store, farmer's market, vending machine, etc.);
- includes an option to query different 24-hour time frames: midnight to midnight of the previous day or the past 24-hours starting with the Respondent's first login; and
- includes an option to require participants to complete recalls in one sitting with breaks of no longer than 30 minutes.
Note to users of the ASA24-2011: Data collected using ASA24-2011 and ASA24-2014 are comparable as both use the same nutrient and food group databases. Most of the changes between the ASA24-2011 and 2014 versions are related to modifications of the user interface.
Use of the ASA24-2014 and ASA24-2011 Respondent Web site requires:
- a high-speed internet connection, such as cable, DSL or FIOS;
- a monitor size of at least 10" (greater than 13" is recommended); and
- version 4.0 of Microsoft Silverlight.
The use of computers with screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 and audio capability is recommended.
When a respondent opens the ASA24 Respondent Web site home page, the site will detect the respondent's Silverlight version and screen resolution. If the above standards are not met, instructions will be provided on how to adjust the computer.
The ASA24-2014 and ASA24-2011 Respondent Web sites have been tested on:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, version 8 and higher;
- Mozilla Firefox for Windows and OSX, version 6 and higher;
- Apple Safari for Windows and OSX, version 4; and
- Google Chrome for Windows, version 31.
ASA24 is designed for larger monitors (greater than 10"), and while the application will scale, it cannot be used on a smart phone or tablet. A mobile version is under development.
Please note that ASA24 is not currently designed to run on Apple's iPhones, iPads, or Mac PowerPCs. ASA24 will also not run in a Linux environment.
The National Cancer Institute is committed to providing access to ASA24 to all potential respondents. As such, the ASA24 Respondent Web site has been designed to comply with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (as amended). Section 508 requires that all individuals with disabilities have access to and use of information and data comparable to that provided to individuals without disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed.
Researchers should report any difficulties experienced by a respondent using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) in an e-mail addressed to ASA24HelpDesk@westat.com. Please describe the nature of the accessibility problem and include the study name and researcher contact information.
Registering to Use ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Kids-2014
Researchers can no longer register to use ASA24-2011 or ASA24-Kids-2012 for new studies. If you are interested in using ASA24-2014 or ASA24-Kids-2014 in your study, clinic, or class, please visit the Researcher Web site to access the researcher instructions and register to use ASA24 free of charge.
If your study includes both adults and children and you wish to use multiple versions of the ASA24 Respondent Web site (e.g., ASA24-2014 and ASA24-Kids-2014), please register a study for each version.
ASA24™ is a trademark of HHS.
Last Modified: 25 Feb 2014