ASA24-2011 was formerly referred to as "Version 1" and was released in September 2011.
- uses version 4.1 of USDA's Food and Nutrient Database for Dietary Surveys (FNDDS) to estimate nutrient intakes;
- uses version 2.0 of the USDA's MyPyramid Equivalents Database (MPED) and the USDA's Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion's MPED Addendum to estimate intakes of dietary guidance-based food groups; nutritionists on the ASA24 team imputed values for nine food codes for which MyPyramid Equivalents have not yet been assigned by USDA;
- includes optional modules to query the location of meals, with whom meals were eaten, and television and computer use during meals;
- includes an optional module to query supplement intakes based on supplements reported in the 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES); and
- is available in English and Spanish.
Note to users of the ASA24-Beta: As a result of updates to the underlying databases, data collected using the Beta version and ASA24-2011 are not directly comparable. Guidance and code are available to update analytic files from the Beta version, which used FNDDS 1.0 and MPED 1.0, to be consistent with ASA24-2011, which uses FNDDS 4.1 and an updated MPED database. It is not possible to rerun ASA24-Beta site respondent data using ASA24-2011.
Use of the ASA24-2011 Respondent Web site requires:
- a high-speed internet connection, such as cable, DSL or FIOS;
- a monitor size of at least 10" (greater than 13" is recommended); and
- version 4.0 of Microsoft Silverlight.
The use of computers with screen resolution set to 1024 x 768 and audio capability is recommended.
When a respondent opens the ASA24 Respondent Web site home page, the site will detect the respondent's Silverlight version and screen resolution. If the above standards are not met, instructions will be provided on how to adjust the computer.
The ASA24-2011 Respondent Web site has been tested on:
- Microsoft Internet Explorer for Windows, version 6 and higher;
- Mozilla Firefox for Windows and OSX, version 3 and higher;
- Apple Safari for Windows and OSX, version 4; and
- Google Chrome for Windows, version 2.
ASA24 is designed for larger monitors (greater than 10"), and while the application will scale, we do not currently recommend its use on a smart phone or tablet.
Please note that ASA24 is not currently designed to run on Apple's iPhones, iPads, or Mac PowerPCs. ASA24 will also not run in a Linux environment.
The National Cancer Institute is committed to providing access to ASA24 to all potential respondents. As such, the ASA24 Respondent Web site has been designed to comply with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (as amended). Section 508 requires that all individuals with disabilities have access to and use of information and data comparable to that provided to individuals without disabilities, unless an undue burden would be imposed.
Researchers should report any difficulties experienced by a respondent using assistive technology (such as a screen reader, Braille reader, etc.) in an e-mail addressed to ASA24Admin@westat.com. Please describe the nature of the accessibility problem and include the study name and researcher contact information.
Registering to Use ASA24-2011
If you are interested in using ASA24-2011 in your study, clinic, or class, please visit the Researcher Web site to access the researcher instructions and register to use ASA24 free of charge.
If your study includes both adults and children and you wish to use multiple versions of the ASA24 Respondent Web site (e.g., ASA24-2011 and ASA24-Kids-2012), please register a study for each version.
ASA24™ is a trademark of HHS.
Last Modified: 18 Oct 2013