Monitoring Risk & Health Behaviors
- The Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS)
- What topics are covered on the questionnaire?
- How can the data be used?
- Where can I get the data & questionnaire?
- What are the current & past survey findings?
- What are NCI's future plans?
- Suggested Citation
- Reports & Publications Using the TUS-CPS
- New, Updated, & Modified Files
- Print or view entire document (excludes tables)
- TUS-CPS Translations into Other Languages
- 2009 Users' Workshop
- 2007 Users' Workshop
- TUS-CPS Fact Sheet (PDF, 136 KB)
Where Can I Get the TUS Data, Documentation, & Questionnaires?
Items of Interest
TUS-CPS Available for Download
The data and technical documentation for the May and August 2010, and January 2011, Tobacco Use Supplements are available for download from the Current Population Survey FTP Page.
The questionnaires for the 2001-2002, 2003, 2006-2007, and 2010-11 Tobacco Use Supplement to the Current Population Survey (TUS-CPS) are available for download below in two formats.
- 2010-11 TUS-CPS:
- 2006-07 TUS-CPS:
- 2003 TUSCS-CPS in English:
- 2003 TUSCS-CPS in Spanish:
- 2001-02 TUS-CPS:
For detailed information about the surveys and data sets, refer to the Current Population Survey technical documentation on the US Census Bureau's Web site.
SAS Programs for Creating SAS Datasets
SAS programs for creating a permanent SAS dataset from the ASCII text file are available for some of the public use files. Each program reads all variables from the core and the supplement and creates a SAS dataset containing all the variables.
- 2010-11: May 2010, August 2010, and January 2011
- 2007: January
- 2006: May and August
- 2003: February, June and November
Order Earlier TUS-CPS Files on CD-ROM
See the Census Bureau's instructions on how to order from the Census Product Catalog. CD-ROMs may be ordered by phone or fax.
To find the Product ID of the CD that you want, see the Census Bureau's tables of contents for Current Population Survey releases, or consult the table below.
|TUS-CPS Contents||CD Name||Product ID|
|May/August 2006 & January 2007||Current Population Survey Releases in 2008||C9-C08-ALLF-06-US1|
|Feb., June, & Nov. 2003||Current Population Survey Releases in 2007
(Contains the same data files as the 2006 release, plus updated technical documentation.)
|Current Population Survey Releases in 2006||C13-C06-ALLF-06-US1|
|February 2002||Current Population Survey - 2002 through 2004 All Files CD-ROM||C6-C04-ALLF-02-US1|
|June & November 2001||Current Population Survey 2001 All Files CD-ROM||C4-C01-ALLF-06-US1|
|January & May 2000||Current Population Survey 2000 All Files CD-ROM||C4-C00-ALLF-06-US1|
|1995-1999||Current Population Survey 1994-1999 All Files CD-ROM||C5-C99-ALLF-06-US1|
|1992-1993||Current Population Survey: 1992 and 1993 Tobacco Supplements||C1-C93-TOBF-02-US1|
Guidance on using the TUS-CPS data was provided to participants in the 2009 TUS-CPS Users' Workshop.
Last Modified: 11 Apr 2014